Spread the Word!
Let your neighbors know your congregation is participating by sharing and tagging the Climate in the Pulpits event on Facebook! Use hashtag #ClimatePulpits to share photos and teachings from your congregation’s program.
This fall, faith communities in Washington, DC and Maryland are invited to participate by committing to turn away from burning — learning, acting, and speaking out for an end to burning dangerous methane gas in our homes and communities.
Find resources below to engage your community in raising up climate justice in worship.
Call to Action for Worship Materials
Whether we are gathered online or in-person, we can take action together, and in community! We’re inviting congregations to do so by setting aside a few minutes during worship or other programming to allow individuals to call on their elected officials to make climate and environmental justice a priority.
To introduce the action, we’ve created a short 5 minute sample talk:
Call to Action Bulletin
All in-person congregations are encouraged to distribute bulletin inserts, ideally as part of the service, and to recollect the filled in bottom portion, perhaps as part of the offering. (Afterwards please mail the completed bulletin inserts to IPL-DMV, 900 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001. Thank you!)
If your congregation requested a specific number of bulletin inserts, we will mail them to you. However, if you need to print more, there is a PDF version below.
Virtual and hybrid meeting congregations can instead direct congregants to complete an online call to action form.
Learn more about methane gas and clean alternatives!
– Kicking the Gas Habit: How Gas is Harming our Health, Climate Council (Australia), May 2021
– Effects of Residential Gas Appliances on Indoor and Outdoor Air Quality and Public Health in California, UCLA School of Public Health, April 2020
–Why New Induction Cooktops Are Safer and Faster Than Gas or Electric, Wall Street Journal, April 22, 2021
Resources for Christian communities
* Resources for all Christian churches
– IPL-DMV: Why are Christians called to address Climate Change? (VA action)
– From Creation Justice Ministries: Ethics of Energy study guide
– From Season of Creation: Season of Creation resource guide
* Resources for African-American/Black churches
* Resources for Catholic parishes
* Resources for children & youth
– From Interfaith Power & Light (DC.MD.NoVA): Light Switch Reminders coloring sheet
– From Catholic Climate Covenant: Friending Planet Earth Curriculum (youth)
– From Green Anglicans: The Story of Creation Sunday School Curriculum (children)
– From New Community Project: Operation Creation! Curriculum (children)
– From Little Green Thumbs: My Climate Story (children)
* Recursos para las iglesias en español
– De la Alianza Católica para el Clima: Cuidar la creación de Dios: Recursos para la liturgia, la predicación y la acción
– Del Columban Center: Guía de Estudio Para Personas Y Grupos Pequeños
Resources for Jewish communities
– Jewish text studies: Toward a Wiser Use of Energy and Genesis and Human Stewardship of the Earth
– Climate Action Guide: Climate Action Shabbat Guide from Hazon and Dayenu